The Pros and Cons of Gummy Bear Breast Implants
“Dr. Tannan, should I get gummy bear implants?”
I’ve heard this question enough times now that it just made sense to write a post on the topic. Some of you reading this might be wondering, what on earth are gummy bear implants? Others who have had a breast augmentation or are considering one might have heard this term before. Gummy bear implants are a fairly new phenomenon that started getting traction in the U.S. in the last several years. Here we answer some of the most common questions to help you decide if gummy bear breast implants are right for you.
What are gummy bear implants?
Gummy bear implants are simply breast implants with a thicker silicone gel. Each breast implant manufacturer offers options of breast implants of increasing “gumminess,” or cohesivity. The gummier the implant, the thicker and firmer the silicone gel, and fuller the implant. They differ from the traditional breast implant in two notable ways:
1) They are composed of a silicone gel with thicker consistency that is firmer and is less prone to wrinkling and rippling.
2) The shaped gummy implants look like a teardrop to resemble the shape of the upright breast.
Gummy bear implants can be round or shaped. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons offers a high-level overview of the different types of breast implants, including gummy bear implants, shaped breast implants and round breast implants.
What are the pros of getting gummy bear implants?
Rather than re-create the wheel, I’ll just point you to a few resources that discuss the advantages of gummy bear breast implants. Specifically, these posts from Zwivel and plastic surgery practices in Miami, Missouri and Oklahoma discuss the topic of gummy bear implants. To summarize:
- A thicker consistency gel in the breast implant reduces the chance of silicone gel leakage
- The thicker consistency also can lead to holding shape for a longer period of time
- A firmer gel reduces the chance of wrinkling and rippling under the skin
Cosmetic Surgery Cost Calculator: How Much Do Breast Implants Cost?
What are the cons of getting gummy bear implants?
While there might be some advantages to gummy bear implants, sources suggest a few downsides as well. Here’s a brief summary of possible disadvantages versus the traditional breast implant approach:
- Gummier implants are more expensive
- When placing larger implants, sometimes a slightly longer scar is required to place these gummy bear cohesive gel implants
- If you choose a teardrop shaped gummy bear implant, it may rotate and result in an unnatural appearance
Gummy bear implants – how do I decide?
As you can see, there are both pros and cons to gummy bear implants. It can be difficult to decide what breast augmentation approach is right for you. Don’t worry, your female plastic surgeon is here to help! During a consultation, we’ll ask you about your breast enhancement goals. You will feel the different types of implants so you can make an informed decision. We can also help you understand the cost of breast implants. Together we will develop a cosmetic surgery plan that’s right for you.
Schedule a breast implant consultation with Dr. Tannan today!
Gummy bear implants infographic
Want to see more? Scroll down for an infographic on gummy bear implants:
Helpful Links on Breast Implants
- Procedures: Breast Augmentation
- Blog Post: Should I Get Breast Implants, a Breast Lift or Both?
- Blog Post: 5 Tips to Help your Breast Surgery Results Last Longer
- Blog Post: The Advantages of Having a Female Plastic Surgeon
- Resource: How Much Do Breast Implants Cost?
- Resource: Specials and Rewards