Best Skin Care Recommendations for Every Age
Have you ever felt like you’re outgrowing your current skincare routine? You can’t get away with drugstore cleansers after you enter your thirties! As we move through life, it’s essential to adapt your skin care routine to suit your changing face. It might be time to re-evaluate the types of skin care products you use. We’re here to share our best skin care recommendations and solutions for women of every age!
Best Skin Care Recommendations for Teens
Teens face unique skincare challenges, ranging from acne outbreaks to heightened skin sensitivity. Our very best skin care recommendations for keeping skin clean, clear and acne-free include:
- Keep skincare routines simple and consistent. You should focus on developing a foundational routine that includes washing your face twice a day – morning and night. Wash again after heavy exercise as well.
- Use oil-free products that won’t clog pores. This is incredibly important when choosing a moisturizer and sunscreen that work for you.
- Speaking of sunscreen, now is the time to get in the habit of wearing SPF every day. Even in the winter. This single step will make the most dramatic difference over time. Your 50-year-old self will thank you.
- Remember to wash pillowcases and sheets frequently. Avoid sleeping in your makeup or touching your face during the day. These small steps have a major impact and set the foundation for good skin health in the future.
Best Skin Care Recommendations in Your 20s
As you enter your 20s, your skincare routine should shift slightly to adding new layers of protection. You still want to maintain your basic daily routine (cleanser, moisturizer and SPF), but it’s time to level up by adding antioxidants and a few strategic anti-aging products. Chances are you are moving away from acne. Instead, we look for ways to prevent wrinkles and keep your skin looking fresh and fabulous. Our top skin care products and recommendations for your 20s are:
- Swap out harsh astringents and acne-wash for gentler cleansers and moisture rich overnight creams to balance out new areas of dryness.
- Your skin isn’t renewing itself as often now. It’s time to add an exfoliator to your routine to help reveal healthy layers of skin underneath.
- Consider a chemical peel to even out your skin tone, treat acne, sun spots, and some minor scarring.
- Review your sunscreen lineup and keep up with daily application. Look for makeup that includes SPF to bolster your sun protection and make sure it is noncomedogenic (doesn’t clog pores).
Best Skin Care Recommendations in Your 30s and 40s
It’s time to get real about wrinkle prevention heading into your 30s and 40s. Continue to take top-notch care of your skin by cleansing, moisturizing, and wearing sunscreen. But as you begin to see the physical signs of aging appear, consider adding these new steps to your regimen:
- Tone and texture take center stage as the regeneration process slows down starting in your 30s. Adding a Retinol product, at least once or twice a week, is one way to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and to help smooth the overall appearance of your skin.
- Many women notice signs of melasma (tan or dark discoloration in a butterfly pattern across your face onto your cheeks) during and after pregnancy. Birth control hormones can cause melasma too! A chemical peel designed to help remove the outer, damaged layers or your skin can help reveal fresher, more youthful skin below.
- An even more powerful treatment for hyperpigmentation, radiofrequency microneedling with Morpheus8, can work to diminish dark spots and other signs of sun damage and aging.
- Your skin may also begin to start losing fullness and fine lines may begin to appear around your eyes or lips. Precise, injectable treatments such as Botox, Hyaluronic acid fillers and Renuva can help regenerate volume and restore youthful smoothness.
- Last but not least, it’s essential to schedule an annual full-body skin cancer screening.
Best Skin Care Recommendations in Your 50s
Mature skin has unique needs, especially as skin texture changes and it loses volume, elasticity, and firmness. Kristie Foushee, RN explains that “in your 50s, your skin becomes thinner and more delicate. You may also notice a decrease in oil production, which can lead to patches of dryness or itchy, flaky skin.” As collagen and elastin levels drop, the overall tone of your skin advances. At Tannan Plastic Surgery, the following list highlights our best skin care recommendations:
- Drink lots of water! Hydration is incredibly important to keep your skin glowing and youthful.
- Consider dedicated eye creams and moisture rich day and night creams, especially those that simulate your body’s natural lipids. Look for products that boast emollients like ceramides and hyaluronic acid. These will help bond and seal in moisture. ZO Skin Care products are among the best.
- Spider veins creeping in? Sclerotherapy is widely considered the most effective treatment for spider veins. It can be done in our office with little or no downtime!
- Even with the very best skincare routine, you may still notice things like crows’ feet, volume loss in your cheeks or thinning lips. Remember, aging is natural process. While you can’t stop on it, Tannan Plastic Surgery offers a suite of anti-aging treatment options including Renuva, Botox, and Morpheus each designed for specific applications to help you look and feel your very best at any age.
Best Skin Care Recommendations in Your 60s and Above
Most skin changes are attributed to three factors: photo-damage (sun), environmental exposure and your actual age. In addition, women in their 60s face significant hormonal changes as estrogen levels drop over time. This results in what we refer to as Estrogen Deficient Skin. Signs of Estrogen Deficient Skin include dryness, dullness, decreased elasticity and lines or wrinkles. There are key steps you can take to improve your skin’s appearance, such as:
- Use a gentle cleanser, with moisturizing ingredients. Use warm water, not hot water which can lead to overly dry skin.
- Choose products that are fragrance free to prevent irritation or redness.
- Stay sun-smart. Wear protective clothing (and a hat) when outdoors to lower your risk of unnecessary sun exposure which can lead to added sun spots.
- While dermal fillers like Botox can be used to target lines and wrinkles, it’s best to avoid over doing it. You want to stick with subtle results that are very natural looking.
- If you feel self-conscious about your skin’s appearance or have specific concerns, schedule a consultation with a Board-certified Plastic Surgeon to review your aesthetic goals and create a plan together!
No matter what your age, it’s never too late to talk about the best skin care recommendations customized just for you! Schedule a pre-treatment assessment and consultation with Kristie Foushee, RN at (919) 797-0996.
Folks come to see us from all over. It is common for our patients to travel from all the corners of Raleigh plus Apex, Holly Springs, Fuqua-Varina, Cary, Morrisville, Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Pittsboro, Garner, Knightdale, RTP, Winston-Salem, Kernersville, Clemmons, Wake Forest, Wilmington, Fayetteville and the surrounding areas for our unique approach to cosmetic plastic surgery, Botox, and filler.
If you are looking for the best plastic surgeon and the best Botox injector for you, be sure to do your research! We hope our all-women, all-star team can help you regain your confidence and move forward as the brightest version of you.